Cathy's Date Slice
- 400 grams Pitted Dates
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 4 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour (I use spelt flour)
- 200 grams Butter
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats
- 3/4 tsp of Baking Soda.
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 -1 tsp Cardomom (depends on your taste buds, I normally do 1 tsp)
- Grated fresh nutmeg a good amount
First Make Filling.
Next Make Base.
- Into a pot put dates, boiling water and brown sugar. Simmer for approx 10 mins or until soft and stewed.
- Add all ingredients as listed above. Mix well; should be crumbly
- Use non stick baking paper to line a slice tin, press 2/3 of base mixture into the tin firmly.
- Add date mixture and spread evenly with a knife.
- Add the rest of base mixture and press on top of the dates.
- Bake at 180 c for about 30mins, cut while still warm.
Recipe Provided by Cathy.