Candida Albicans is a yeast fungus that lives in your gut. When it remains in a healthy amount it does not cause problems. But it loves sugar of any kind and can get out of balance.
The aim of treatment is to balance the gut flora.
- A Naturopath told me years ago that a quick way to do this is to take 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water 3 times daily for at least 2 weeks (to a maximum of 1 month) to kill off the candida yeast fungus so it goes back to its yeast form instead of growing out of control.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle with 250mls of water. Spray on the vaginal area, can also be used on your nipples and babies bottom if the baby has a thrush nappy rash.
- A clove of garlic which can be inserted anally.
- A local vaginal treatment is with a tea tree based cream to be used around the outer vaginal area. Ask a naturopath.
- Treat your partner as well and avoid having sex while treatment is going on as it can aggravate the condition.
- Also take a Probiotic for Candida, you can get this from a pharmacy or ask a naturopath. Some health food stores and pharmacies have a naturopath working there. It is important to take the right sort of probiotic and the right strength.
- Plain, unsweetened acidophilus yoghurt. You can apply it directly into the vagina. Messy but soothing!
Things to Avoid
Candida loves and lives for carbohydrates and sugars. Avoid sugars from your diet for about 6 weeks
- maple syrup
- dried fruit
- No fruit or fruit juices for a month
- Refined (white) sugar, and all products containing it.
- Any thing that ferments like yeasty bread, cheese, alcohol, mushrooms
- Eat vegetables that are from the mustard family like cabbage, turnip, brussel sprouts and mustard greens.
- Stop using soap when you wash your genital area.
- Wear only cotton underpants (or none at all).